BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection
Delivered on-line or face to face
The BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection is suitable for anyone who needs an understanding of UK data protection law and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Level - SFIA Level 2
This course is suitable for anyone looking to learn more about data protection law in the UK. Some pre-course reading is recommended.
On-line courses will be scheduled throughout the year. This qualification is made up of 6 half day modules plus assessment.
Available dates are shown below.
From £1,350 (including assessment). All prices are subject to VAT.
Tkm Course Listing
|BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection||29 & 30 Nov, 1 Dec 22||On-line - 3 days||£1,350 + VAT|
The easiest way to book a place on one of our courses is to use our booking form.
Each on-line module takes half a day, which can include work to be completed either before or after any on-line sessions.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Module 1 – The Context of Data Protection & the ICO
- The context of data protection
- Scope of the General Data Protection Regulation
- The role of the ICO
Module 2 – Definitions and the Data Protection Principles
- Special categories of personal data and criminal offence data
- An introduction to data protection principles including the principle of accountability
Module 3 - Lawful Bases & International Transfers
- Lawfulness of processing
- Conditions for processing special categories of personal data
- Transfers of personal data to third countries or international organisations
Module 4 – Governance, Accountability & Processors
- Data protection impact assessements
- Records of processing activities
- Data protection by design and by default
- Data protection officers
Module 5 – Data Subject Rights
Data subject rights:
- to be informed and the requirements for privacy notices
- automated decision making and profiling
- restriction of processing
Restrictions that may affect rights.
Module 6 – Breaches, Enforcement & Liability & PECR
- Breach reporting
- Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations
BCS Foundation Certificate in Data Protection - Revision and Exam
- Post course revision
- Practice questions with answers
Additional Work and Support
Please note that there is some suggested coursework to complete as well as the delivered modules.
The assessment for this qualification is at the end of the course for face to face delivery, or arranged some time after course delivery by candidates using BCS’s proctoring service for on-line courses.
Discount available for IRMS members
Please contact us for details.
What Our Customers Say
We were given plenty of opportunity to participate and ask questions when needed. It was great to take part in the group activities and show our understanding on the topic. The breakout sessions were also a good way of learning more about other organisations and getting other points of view.