BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information
Delivered on-line or face to face
The BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information is designed for candidates managing or responding to requests for information from the public or working in this subject area, for instance information managers or Freedom of Information (FOI) practitioners.
Level - SFIA Level 4
For the BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information syllabus please click here.
On-line courses will be scheduled throughout the year and are taught on a modular basis. This qualification is made up of 10 half day modules plus assessment.
Tkm Course Listing
|BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information||31 Jan, 1, 2, 7 & 8 Feb 24||On-line - 5 days||£1,850 + VAT
The easiest way to book a place is to use our booking form.
This course covers:
- The different public authorities that are covered by the Freedom of Information Act
- Codes of practice and legislations relevant to data in a public authority
- The difference between ethics and legislation
- The purpose of the Freedom Of Information Act legislation
- The purpose of Schedule 1, showing how it is amended and applied
- The relationship between the Freedom of Information Act and the private sector
- Who and what is covered by the Freedom of Information Act
- Good practice in relation to record management
- The use of publication schemes
- Applying knowledge of access rights including FOIA and codes of practice 2018 in handling and
analysing a request and responding
- Fees, regulations and costs associated with a request for information
- The time deadlines to the request for information
- Exemptions from disclosure
- The Environmental Information Regulations and the relevance and differences to the FOIA
- The principles and lawful decisions in regards to the Data Protection Act
- Enforcement powers
- Offences in relation to the disclosure of information
- The appeals process
Learning Outcomes & Course Information
An understanding of legislation, codes of practice and ethics within public authorities
An understanding of the scope and principles of the freedom of information act
A practical understanding of the obligations and responsibilities of an FOI officer
A practical understanding of disclosure, non-disclosure and exemptions in relation to FOI requests
A practical understanding of key legislation including Environmental Information Regulation and Data Protection
An understanding of the enforcement and appeals process
What's included in the price?
When you pay for the course in full the price includes:
- 10 half day modules
- Printed course materials
- An on-line assessment with the BCS.
The BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information is 40 hours of study and the syllabus is available here.
Discount available for IRMS members
Please contact us for details.
The assessment for this qualification is usually arranged by candidates using the BCS’s proctoring service for on-line assessments.