Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance
5 days – certificated by the SQA
This is a course designed for data protection practitioners that can be completed face to face or through on-line training.
Level - Advanced/Practitioner
This course is an advanced level course, designed for practitioners (SCQF level 8). For the detailed course information leaflet please click here.
For those that successfully complete the certificate, there is an option to go on to complete the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance (SCQF level 10).
Course dates are regularly scheduled for on-line and face to face delivery. Please see course dates below.
On-line courses are made up of 10 half day modules plus revision and assessment.
The cost of this course is £2,050. All prices are subject to VAT.
Completion of individual modules is recognised by the FYI badges of achievement scheme.
Tkm Course Listing
|Tkm Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance||10, 11, 17, 18 & 25 Nov 22||On-line - 5 days|
Being run by Leadership Through Data, please see their website for booking details
To book a place, please use our booking form.
Each on-line module takes approximatey half a day, which can include work to be completed either before or after any on-line sessions.
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Module 1 – The Context of Data Protection and the ICO (TKM8CMDPC1)
- The context of data protection
- Scope of the General Data Protection Regulation
- The role of the ICO
- Introduction to the European Data Protection Board
Module 2 – Definitions and an Introduction to the Data Protection Principles (TKM8CMDPC2)
- Special categories of personal data and criminal offence data
- An introduction to data protection principles
Module 3 - Principles in practice, Lawful Bases and Conditions for Processing Special Categories of Personal Data (TKM8CMDPC3)
- Practical implementation of the data protection principles
- Lawfulness of processing
- Conditions for processing special categories of personal data
Module 4 – Rights of Data Subjects (TKM8CMDPC4)
- Transparent information, communication and modalities for the exercise of the rights of the data subject
- Provision of information
- Other rights of Data Subjects
- Available remedies
Module 5 – Responsibilities of Controllers and Processors including Information Security, Data Protection Officers and Transfers (TKM8CMDPC5)
- Responsibilities of controllers
- Responsibilities of processors
- Information security
- Requirements for Data Protection Officers
- Transfer of personal data to third countries or international organisations.
Module 6 – The Application of Exemptions (TKM8CMDPC6)
- Crime and taxation
- Information required to be disclosed by law or in connection with legal proceedings
- Protection of the rights of others
- Legal professional privilege
- Management forecasts
- Confidential references
- Special purposes
- National security
Other exemptions will be referenced although will not be covered by assessments:
- Additional exemptions in Schedule 2, part 1
- Schedule 2, part 2
- Additional exemptions in Schedule 2, part 4
- Schedule 2 part 6 exemptions:
- Research and statistics
- Archiving in the public interest
- Schedule 3 exemptions
- Schedule 4 exemptions
Module 7 – PECR and other Associated Legislation (TKM8CMDPC7)
- Privacy and Electronic Communication Regulations
- Other associated legislation
Module 8 – Interpretation and Practical Application of the Legislation – Codes of Practice (TKM8MDPC8)
- Managing employees
- Monitoring (using surveillance cameras as a working example). This part will also reference the Surveillance Camera Code of Practice and the role of the Surveillance Camera Commissioner
- Information sharing and appropriate safeguards for transferring information to a third party
Module 9 Tkm - Data Protection and Managing Risk (TKM8MDPC9)
- Conducting risk assessments
- Conducting DPIAs
Module 10 Tkm - the Role of Information Governance in Data Protection Compliance (TKM8MDPC10)
Certificate in Managing Data Protection Compliance - Revision and Exam (TKM8MDPC11)
- A 1-2-1 revision session (1 hour)
- Practice questions with answers
Learning Outcomes & Course Information
Demonstrate knowledge and practical application of data protection and associated laws in complex scenarios
Demonstrate an understanding of managing data protection and associated legislation
Demonstrate an ability to manage risks associated with personal data in an organisational context
The assessment for this qualification is usually run approximately 4 weeks after a course for both face to face and on-line delivery.
Please note that on-line assessments are recorded for the purposes of external verification by the SQA.
The next qualification in this series is the Diploma in Managing Data Protection Compliance.
Course materials are included in the cost of either the module or full course and are provided in hard copy.
Please note that if you purchase the course by individual modules the assessment must be purchased separately.
Discount available for IRMS members
Please contact us for details.
This is an intensive learning course
Please note that some prior understanding of data protection law is required to maximise the benefit of completing this course.