A fantastic intermediate level course designed to provide those who handle subject access requests (SAR) with the knowledge and skills necessary to identify and respond to a SAR. We do recommend that to get the most out of this course you have a general understanding of the data protection principles and associated legislation. If however you are new to a role working with SAR we welcome you to join the course but would suggest that you firstly take a look at our Essentials Collection courses in Data Protection and Freedom of Information which can be purchased separately, or together in a discounted bundle.
How will I learn?
We have two options available for learners, either attended live courses which run twice per year or our online on demand version, available 24/7 via our Learning Management System. It really comes down to your personal preference on format of delivery, time, and expenditure. We understand that some learners prefer to attend live online classes whilst other prefer the convenience of on demand learning at a time that is convenient for them.
- Online attended live: a one day course delivered live online from 09:30 – 16:30 approx. This course is delivered by Frank Rankin who has over 30 years’ experience as an information governance practitioner and trainer.
- Online on demand: approximately 3 hours of pre-recorded content is delivered to you by Frank Rankin via our LMS. All recordings are available 24/7 and practical exercises are provided throughout so you can put the theory into practice within your own workplace.
- In house: we are able to deliver our attended live courses in-house. Please contact us via our contact form to find out about pricing and availability.
- LMS Organisation Access: We offer organisation access to our LMS where organisations can assign courses to individual team members and track the progress of their learning. Prices start from £8 per person, per course and prices are subject to number of attendees and courses purchased. To find out more, please contact us.
What will I learn?
- Key concepts and law: including definitions and what information falls within the scope of a SAR. We also take a look at the guidance provided by the Information Commissioners Office (ICO), which we think is a useful resource for attendees to utilise.
- The information search: the course looks at how you conduct a robust search for information once you have received a SAR, including how to narrow down the search and document the audit trail of the search.
- Handling requests: So, once you have conducted the search you’ll need to track, monitor and manage the process taking into account statutory timescales and the contents of the responses.
- Exemptions and redactions: when handling the request you also need to be mindful of the key exemptions from the right of access which are found in the Schedules of the Data Protection Act 2018.
Do I get an award?
All of our courses and assessments are rigorously quality assured and quality checked. Upon attendance of this course – whether attended live or online on demand – learners can choose to receive their digital badge of achievement from us. Our badge scheme is a great way of keeping track of your learning and CPD. You can also share your badge on your social accounts or download this as a certificate.
Some other courses you might be interested in include:
- Introduction to Scottish Freedom of Information – available attended online live. Please see our next course dates here.
- Practitioner Certificate in Scottish Freedom of Information – available attended online live. Please see our next course dates here.
- *NEW* BCS Practitioner Certificate in Freedom of Information – available attended online live. Please see our next course dates here.
If you have any questions whatsoever about any of our courses, both attended live and online and on demand please do contact us via our contact form, available by clicking here.